Friday, October 3, 2008

Journal Entry: October 3, 2008

I tried to post this last night, because it was such a thing, but Blogger suddenly won't work on my laptop for some reason, so I'm just adding it to my journal entry, during class.

Anyway, Sunday when I first got in, as I mentioned, I drove up to a Target really close to my hotel, and found that it was closed. I didn't mention (because it didn't seem relevant, since I'm not a basketball fan) that right next to the Target was big-ass wedding cake-looking building that I first mistook for a huge mall, then for a double-huge movie theater (because it only had one entrance and no storefronts), and then finally discovered was the Chicago Allstate Arena.

It's about a five minute walk from my hotel, on my way to class, so I've passed it nearly every time I've left my hotel. Anyway, last night I ran out to grab some chicken for dinner, having decided not to do anything with my evening, and I got around the corner and ran into a huge traffic backup. I thought it must be an accident or something--

Okay, I'll cut to the chase because you guys are all too smart to sit through my narrative without guessing. It was the Weezer concert. The Weezer concert was a five minute walk from my hotel. DAMMIT! And I would have gone, then and there, to see if there were still tickets left (my guess is yes), but I'd just spent all my allowance money on a jacket that I'm only using for one more day.

So, yeah, took me forever to pick up my chicken.

I also skipped the gym last night, because my calves were really sore. I could have gone down just to do my shoulders, but I'll just do shoulders and biceps tonight before I run.

Anyway, journalwise, after class (which let out early, because we were way ahead of schedule), I ran up to the nearest Wal-Mart to grab a cheap jacket because it's been freezing up here (and, after all, I do need a new jacket). The nearest Wal-Mart is about a forty-minute drive from my hotel, but only about ten from my class, so I went straight there from class. I'd intended to do some comparative shopping, driving all the way back to the Target by my hotel and really hoping they had a better deal than I'd found at Wal-Mart, but I discovered a mall right by the Wal-Mart that consisted of Kohl's, Sears, and a Target (and one furniture store). That's pretty much my ideal setup for comparative shopping, so I looked around and picked up a $50 fleece jacket that ended up being $35. Coolio. I also got T-- a memento, because I hadn't yet.

I found a $12 hoodie that looked good enough, as soon as I walked into Target, but it was only midafternoon and my whole plan had been to kill some time, so I went ahead and did the shopping thing. Apart from blowing my Weezer money on a jacket I won't wear again between tomorrow and December, I'm happy with what I ended up getting.

Anyway. After that my little sister called and we talked for my whole drive back to the hotel (which probably wasn't wise, considering the near-miss with the train, but I made it back alive). Then I read for about an hour, ran out for the chicken, and came back to the hotel to watch School of Rock and play a video game. That was my whole night. Probably one of the best yet, mainly because School of Rock repeating is a lot better than Sex and the City coming on after Family Guy when you don't have the time to go searching for the remote.

Other than that, it's just things and stuff.

No comments: