Thursday, April 23, 2009

Journal Entry: April 23, 2009

Yesterday, at work, I officially got the sort-of-demotion that I mentioned last Tuesday. My supervisor took the other tech writer and me into a conference room, laid out the problem for me, and then we spent half an hour discussing exactly how it should be resolved. I'm basically stepping into the publication process to do a full review of every document she prepares, including all of the ones currently in process.

That's the ugly part. The next two months or so are going to be crushingly brutal while I try to get through the backlog of existing projects. Once that's done, reviewing her new projects will probably only add eight to ten hours a week to my schedule. Unfortunately, by that point I'll also be fully trained to do her job, which I see as a possible sleight of hand involved in this whole bit. I don't mind reviewing her projects, but at that point they could just as easily have me start working some of the projects through the system, and that becomes tens and hundreds of hours, not just eight. I don't want to mess with that.

But, y'know, it's their Administration. They can run it however they want.

I went to BWW for lunch, because I needed a break, and learned that my waitress has gotten another job, so she won't be there anymore. Lame! I mean, great for her, but lame.

My back has been hurting, too, almost as bad as last summer. My physical therapist said that when my back starts to hurt a little bit I walk differently to accommodate it, and that's what causes the real problems. So that explains why I'm having the same issues even though I haven't done anything resembling the sort of work that caused the original problem. That's really neither here nor there, but I figured, as long as I'm whining....

After work I got home to find my little sister with her two kids at the house. They were out in the back yard, playing with T-- and AB, so I slipped stealthily back to the bedroom without saying hi, and crashed on the bed. My brother-in-law showed up shortly, though, so I had to get up to let him in. I managed to avoid going outside, though. Small victories.

We had dinner at Qdoba, which is pretty much awesome. I've got a real appreciation for those chicken burrito bowls lately -- rice, beans, chicken, cheese, salsa, lettuce, and cilantro in a cheap plastic bowl. I get the same thing when I have lunch with D-- at Moe's. It's cheap, delicious, filling, and relatively healthy. Yay!

No, that was not a paid advertisement, but I did accidentally watch Biggest Loser last night, so you were well within your rights to wonder.

After dinner we went home, and I fetched the laptop out from the office so I could try out a new game, Demigod. It's fantastic. I recommend it highly. It consists of short matches (15-30 minutes) that feel like RTS battles, although you don't do anything like base management. Instead you're playing a hero tasked with killing the heroes on the enemy team, destroying their fortifications, or capturing and holding strategic locations ("flags," but the gameplay is what's usually called "king of the hill"). A given match will consist of getting a certain amount of points from one of those three things to win, but every match becomes a mixture of all three.

There are eight heroes to choose from. Half of them are assassins, capable of wading into the battle and murdering everything, and the other half are generals, who can summon 5-15 minions to do battle for them. Each of the heroes has its own skill tree, and you can level up and customize your hero's abilities through the course of the match.

I had fun. Ended up playing it from seven-thirty straight through to eleven. I really wanted to get some writing done last night, and didn't because of the game, but after the day I'd had, it was just the evening I needed.

Other than that, it's just things and stuff.

No comments: