Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Journal Entry: May 20, 2009

Is it the twentieth already? Ugh.

Yesterday after work I did forty minutes on the elliptical and finished off the first season of Dollhouse, which ended fantastically. I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with the story (and, in the same vein, really stoked to learn that they are renewing it).

Then after that we had steaks for dinner, and then started the process of moving AB out of her room. We brought all her toys and most of her furniture out of her room and set them up in the back corner of our living room as a temporary play area.

Our goal is to swap the nursery and the library, and put both kids in the larger room. It's a temporary fix, but it should buy us a few years.

Unfortunately, it's no small task. In addition to all the furniture that needs to get moved, the office is done up in my personal color scheme (which is to say, dark), and T-- thinks it would be bad for the children's psyches to grow up that environment, so we get to repaint them to happy meadow green and white. I did a pretty thorough job when I painted it in the first place, so that's a lot of work to take it back.

And, as I implied above, I figure I've only got a few years left of having an office at all, so I'm not going to bother repainting the smaller room. I'll just leave it happy meadow green and hope it doesn't get on my nerves too much when the only light in the room comes from a computer monitor.

We'll have to move the network equipment and fileserver out of the old office closet, to protect it from curious little hands, and we'll need to drop cable and network connections in the new office because there was no need to have them in that room when it was a nursery. That's an unpleasant afternoon's work, but not much more.

Anyway, last night all we did was move AB's toys out to the living room, and then I started the process of condensing my library down from three bookcases to two, because that's all I'll have room for. It wasn't quite as painful as I'd expected it to be, but it's still a bummer.

Of course, by the time I went to bed I was still working out details and planning exactly what needed to be done, and it was hours before I actually fell asleep. That was irritating.

Other than that, it's just things and stuff.

No comments: