Thursday, June 21, 2007

Journal Entry: Wednesday, June 20th

Strangely busy night last night. I'd go so far as to say hectic.

Work was mostly uninteresting. I was late getting in, and then over lunch I wrote an SK post that introduced a scene I've been looking forward to for a long time. Then Xanga was down for the rest of the day, so I didn't get it posted until this morning.

D--'s mom stopped by shortly after I got home from work, on her way back to Wichita from someplace Texasy. That was not unexpected. We had an Ed's Massive Burger, which was delicious, and then she hit the road to get home at a reasonable hour. I loaded up Civ 4, honestly thinking that would be the end of my day (with, y'know, pleasant coasting as I wasted the next three hours playing video games).

Oh, right. "D--'s mom." I've decided, as a very flimsy sort of privacy protection, to truncate everybody's name. I almost did the same thing with Wichita, but it could eventually get a little silly. I realize I'm not just documenting my own life here, though, but those of everyone I interact with, to one degree or another, and a surprising number of those people have serious secrecy concerns. Here's hoping not-spelling-out-their-names every time will sufficiently soothe their anxious little hearts.

Obviously, it's a thin disguise, but it'll thwart Google, at the very least.

Also, using the dashes....that's a really old convention. Lots of novels used to use first-letter-dash-dash in place of a full name for pretty much any proper nouns, especially ones existing in the real world. It still kinda throws me off when I'm reading through a Dumas or Scott and hit a word like that, but I thought it'd be fun to throw it into my blog.

Anyhow, D--'s mom left around 7:30, and just as I was settling down to play some Civ, T-- got a call from N-- (isn't this going to be fun?) saying she and K-- wanted to stop by on their way home from church and borrow a couple books. A few minutes after they showed up, we were all talking, playing social, and then I got a call from B-- saying their water was off, and could I come help them turn it back on. I just happened to have the right tool for that, so I hung around until K-- and N-- left, and then headed over to B--'s place, and fixed his water.

It's nice to have the right tool for the job. Easiest plumbing project I've ever done. We got their water back on, and then I hung around to talk a little. Lots of new complications in the home-buying project. Ugh.

I got back home around 9:30, and found T--'s friend R--'s car in the driveway. Oh, and D-- was still there building his new computer. Yeesh, busy night at the Pogue house.

And as I'm going to be gone all weekend, and my Friday night's already accounted for (and I was wearing the right type of shoes for the job), I talked myself into going ahead and mowing the back yard, which badly needed it. I have this to say of mowing at night: there are a lot more bugs out, when it's dark out. You don't see many of them, but that's as much a curse as it is a blessing. Yuck.

Anyway, I got done around 10:00, and but didn't get to sleep until a couple hours later. So, short night, and it's been a very long day today at work. Still, I did half the diner scene for SK over lunch, and I'm in a pretty good mood about that.

No comments: