Monday, June 18, 2007

Journal Entry: June 18, 2007

Hmm...okay, I'm only four days behind, so far. So today's will be a long one.

Friday, June 15th
I took off work last Friday, because I get one day per pay period, and my regular day off (this coming Friday, the 22nd) I'm going to be busy with work, so I took it early.

Thursday night, I agreed to spend my Friday keeping an eye on K-- (who'd just had surgery), but I got a call from N-- early early Friday morning saying she could take care of it, so I could just stay in bed. Unfortunately, by the time I learned this, I was already out of bed. Alas.

T-- and I went to Sears, and I finally got repair parts for my week-dead lawnmower (that died mid-mow, so my front yard had been weird looking). I also did go over to K--'s for a few hours in the afternoon, and we beat Gears of War on his new XBox 360. Sweet.

'Round about 4:00, "B and E" (as they like to be known) were closing on their house, so we threw a housewarming party for them. D-- brought the wine, I ordered pizza, and toward the end of the evening K-- and N-- bought us all gellato. Oh, and we watched Ghost Rider and ridiculed it without mercy. Again, alas for what might have been.

Saturday, June 16th
Saturday was awful. B-- kept insisting he would need no help moving their boxes to the new house (and I was getting the feeling he wouldn't accept any, anyway), so after I repaired my lawnmower (I say "repaired" because it sounds a lot more impressive than "replaced the air filter and spark plug for the first time in five years"), I decided to go ahead and mow. And while I was at that, I pulled out the ol' power hedge trimmers to clean up the overgrown clutter along our front fence, and to chop down the unpleasant shrubs growing along our front walk. Chainsaw work, but I did it with hedge trimmers. In the hot and humid. For a couple hours.

What I'm getting at, is I fully wore myself out working on the yard, then went inside and crashed on the couch, only to have D-- call me lazy and instruct me to go help him start loading up B--'s stuff. Which I did, because I don't like being called lazy in spite of the fact that I'm amazingly lazy. Kinda like Back to the Future 2, when you think about it....

Anyway, D--'s a vicious taskmaster anyway, so we sprinted through getting B--'s stuff loaded, then sprinted through getting it unloaded so I could be back at the house in time for T-- to leave for an evening of scrapbooking. I'd promised to watch A--b--. Daniel was kind enough to watch her for a couple hours while I went to dinner with T-- and K-- and N-- mid-crop, and other than that she slept for most of the evening, so that was a relief. I played a pretty amazing game of Civ, and then went to bed when I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, around 2:30.

Sunday, June 17th
Okay, Saturday morning and midday I used myself up, and then spent the whole evening and night folded into an extremely soft couch, so my options for Sunday were extremely limited before it ever began. I woke with an extraordinarily sore back. In addition, all A--b--'s good sleep Saturday evening meant that she wasn't as tired as she should've been during the night, so she kept T-- awake late and woke her up early. Between the two of us, we were a pretty sad sight for most of the day.

It was my first Father's Day, though, and T-- gave me an awesome book of pictures of A--b--. She made the book, and picked such cute pictures. I brought it to work this morning, and naturally it was a big hit.

We managed to make a trip to the grocery store, and T-- made some delicious Amish Friendship Bread. I fiddled around with stuff on my computer (some WoW, some Civ, lots of just fiddling). T-- watched half a dozen episodes of Numb3rs. We'd intended to go over to B-- and E--'s new place sometime in the afternoon, but they were overcome with the many demands of new homeownership, and so that was postponed. We ended up meeting K-- and N-- for dinner at Jersey Mike's Subs, and then crashing for the evening.

All told, we accomplished very little. I finished Saturday's Civ game with the option of winning in any of 4 different victory paths within the last 5 turns. That was pretty cool. We went to bed early and I slept the sleep of the dead.

No comments: