Monday, June 29, 2009

Journal Entry: June 29, 2009

Maybe I'll get back to daily eventually. For now, here's a big update!

Wednesday
Last Wednesday night we went to Poblano's for dinner, with D-- and my little sister, and K-- and N--. The tamale dinner was good as always, and too much food as always. T-- and my sister had to rush out early to get to church for their class, but they weren't too rushed.

D-- and I went back to the house and started up a game of Civ that took up most of the rest of the evening.

Thursday
Thursday I used T--'s car to drive to work, and my sister graciously provided her with transportation for the day. When evening rolled around, I drove up to Edmond to pick her and AB up, and we had dinner there at my sister's place. D-- came along, too, and we spent a little time socializing. AB was tired, though, so we headed home to put her in bed. Then T-- turned on New in Town while D-- and I played Civ in the living room. The movie was horrible, and the game was worse.

Friday
Friday I took off work to get my car fixed. We dropped it off at K&C first thing in the morning, then I watched AB while T-- went to a ladies' lunch and ran some errands. The original plan had been to leave AB with a babysitter, and when I found out I was taking the day off I talked D-- into taking a vacation day, too, so we could play Civ all day. Babysitter canceled on us, though, so I got to do that.

D-- came over anyway, though, and we played a little disjointed Civ until AB went down for a nap. Then we got a good hour or two in before she woke up.

Friday night T-- and I ran out to grab some Taco Bueno for dinner, and then spent the evening watching Jimmy Fallon and Conan O'Brien. Pretty fun evening.

Saturday
Saturday I slept in, then went up to the mall with T-- and AB for lunch in the food court. Afterward we went over to the kids' play area there and let AB romp for half an hour or so. She had a great time, and she played well with the other kids. Then I dropped the girls off at the house and took my new chainsaw over to B--'s for a little topiary work. The project took all of eight seconds, but I hung around for forty minutes or so chatting.

Then I got home while AB was still napping, and T-- said a quick goodbye and headed up to church to prep for her crop. I worked on a programming project for an hour or so, then AB woke up and we played in her room for a while. We watched some Dora, I tried and failed to make a grilled cheese sandwich, and then we did puzzles for almost an hour before bedtime. She loves puzzles these days, and she's remarkably good at them.

After she went to bed I got back to work on my programming project, and I was still doing that when T-- got home around midnight. I finished it up around then, packed it up, and shipped it off to Toby to fix all the problems I'd created. That's what a mentor is for, right?

Sunday
Sunday morning T-- and AB took our only car to go to Bible class while I was still in bed, so K-- and N-- came by on their way to services and picked me up. We had a quick breakfast, and then a church service in which I only got two pages written because I spent most of it helping AB color her pages.

We went to Braum's for lunch with them and D--, and afterward D-- came over for the afternoon so we could try to break our losing streak. After three pretty bad wins in Civ, we started a game with a terrible map but we caught some lucky breaks and managed to put together a pretty encouraging game. I had to break it off around five, though, because T-- had dinner plans.

We went to Hafer Park up in Edmond for a picnic, joined by three or four couples from our Small Group at church, as well as K-- and N--. We ate in the gazebo on the pond, and then AB and I walked around it to feed the ducks, and then T-- took AB to play on the play equipment while K-- and I ran to a nearby snowcone stand for some snowcones. After that I played with AB on the playground for half an hour or so, and then we headed home.

It was 8:30 by the time we got in, so we put AB down to bed, and then I contact D-- on GMail and we finished our game. It was looking really, really promising right up until the point where we lost. Gandhi beat us with a Culture Win, and there was nothing we could do to stop him. Alas.

Other than that, it's just things and stuff.

No comments: