Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Journal Entry: July 11, 2007

Today was a strangely productive day.

I've talked several times about my various writing projects. I don't know if I did so publicly, but I mostly decided to go ahead with the idea of writing several short stories to get into the swing of the collaborative novel I'm going to be working on. To that end, I spent most of the last week working on ideas and even text for a short story about one of "my" characters.

Today, over lunch, I typed up what I had written and then just kept typing, filling in the rest. By the end of lunch, I had a 6,000-word short story written. That's pretty exciting.

Then I had a quiet rest of the afternoon at work. I left early, to pick up AB from E--'s place, because E-- had to go see the doctor (she was at E--'s because T-- spent the day in Tulsa for work). After I picked up AB, I went home and put her in her bed, and then sat down at the computer.

I didn't really feel like playing Civ or WoW. Finally, I decided to take a stab at some of the ideas D-- and I had discussed on our walk last night, for another short story. Apart from that walk, I hadn't put any thought into the story.

Around five, I got invited over to K-- and N--'s for some dinner and some XBox 360. Of course I went, leaving my story with about a page written. When AB got really fussy around 7:00, I brought her home for a nap, and spent the rest of the evening working on that same story. Before I left for my walk, it was done.

So, yeah, I wrote two short stories today. That's kind of a big deal, I think. D-- read them both, too, and he really liked them. So I consider that a major victory.

I did go for a walk, and then came home to find D-- waiting on GMail chat. We discussed the stories, and I made a few quick changes that I'd thought of during my walk. Now I'm going to go to bed, but I'm heading that way in really good spirits. I'll have to discuss it with D--, but I may be able to share those stories with you soon. If you have my email address and you'd like a copy, I can certainly provide it that way (or hard copy, if you ask nicely). Just let me know.

(239.2)

No comments: