Friday, July 13, 2007

Journal Entry: Thursday, July 12th

Wow. It's been a long day, and I've got an early morning tomorrow.

We were supposed to have a big goodbye lunch for our departing Branch Manager today, at Steak and Ale. I can't really justify a steak lunch these days, financially, but I was looking forward to giving in to social pressure. Unfortunately, the guest of honor got stuck in an airport last night, so the lunch was postponed until some other convenient time. So I had mediocre Arby's and wished it was a sirloin.

That was really the day's only disappointment, though. I did have an abominably boring meeting this morning concerning the contract transition, but I'd brought a pad and pen with me, so I spent the whole two hours working on a short story. Then I spent lunch working on it, too. Then, at the end of the day, I came home and worked on it while T-- made dinner.

Then I went to Transformers with D-- and K--. We invited B--, but he couldn't come. Work demands, or something lame like that. When the movie ended, I turned to the other two and said, "I think that was the best movie I've ever seen."

So there you have my review. I don't need to go into a lot of details. They talked me down from that analysis, but at the very least I'll finally be forced to divide "best movie ever" into categories by genre, now, and this one definitely wins "action/adventure." It does what an adventure movie is supposed to do. Fun. Awesome.

I'd heard that it was not a disappointment, from the type of people who expected to be really disappointed by it. So I went in without that expectation. I went in expecting it to be good. I did not expect it to be flippin' fantastic! But it was. Good movie. Go see it. I'll be glad to come along.

Anyway, that was from 8:00 to 10:45, and then as D-- was dropping me off at the house, he asked if I was planning to go for a walk. In all honesty, I wasn't, but I had the right shoes on so I said yes. He and I went the full route, and I spent most of the time thinking about the short story I'd started in today's meeting.

And then I got home from the walk, and finished it. It was a terrible idea. I should have gone to bed. I really should not be up this late. But it was so strong on my mind, there's no way I could have fallen to sleep. And now it's done, and I've got my favorite story so far. It does so many things, for the larger story, and yet I think it's also compelling on its own. Maybe not in its current form -- it's just the rough draft -- but I think it has the potential to be awesome.

That's three stories in two days. That's a pretty big deal. I'm excited. I'm also wondering if I'll write another one before the weekend's done. I would like to, but I've got kind of a lot of recreational activities planned. We'll just have to see what happens.

(237.6)

No comments: